Social Democracy, often clipped to SocDem (or SuccDem by ideologies that disagree or despise it), is an economically centre-left ideology. It is usually culturally left, albeit not exclusively. It advocates for strong welfare programs, unionization, with the addition of vast regulation. It is often confused with Democratic Socialism, or sometimes socialism in general (which is largley seen as a US phenomenon in the modern day). Despite often being called a "socialist" by right-wing ideologies, Social Democracy is often excluded from leftist circles as well due to their support for reforming capitalism rather than abolishing it. Social Democracy finds that a lot of welfare programs and business regulations, when achieved through reform rather than revolution, can lead to higher prosperity for the proletariat, rather than systems of unregulated capitalism or socialism
Historically, Social Democracy was used interchangeably with Democratic Socialism, which is still rather common in the United States, especially since Bernie Sanders' rise in popularity. After World War 2, Social Democracy becomes its own identity and promoted a strong welfare state under a capitalist economy. Social Democracies have been established in Europe and other types of the world as follows: India since the establishment of the DPSP, the Republic of France during the 1930's before German Occupation, Australia ever since WWII, Sri Lanka since the early 1940's, the French Republic after the fall of Nazi France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland.
Main Article: Nordic Model
Main Article: Nordic Model
Main Article: Nordic Model
Main Article: Nordic Model
Main Article: Nordic Model
PSOE (Spanish Socialist Workers Party) was first formed in 1879 and had been in government longer than any Spanish political party. It is the ruling party of Spain and of course, is very popular.
The UK Labour Party was first formed on the 27th of February 1900 by the Labour Representation Committee (a pressure group that focused on workers' rights) and was initially socialist and the abolition of private property was included in the party's platform but by the 1940s, in accordance with many other "socialist" political parties in Europe, the abolishment of private property was dropped from their party platform and they swiftly won elections after this. File:ClementAtlee.png Clement Atlee was elected prime minister in 1945, just three years later his party created the NHS and oversaw mass nationalizations and the formation of a comprehensive welfare state.
Despite a social democratic party never being elected federally as the largest party and only once elected to federal official, social democracy has had a large influence on Canadian politics and is the main ideology of the New Democratic Party, and has played a massive role in provincial and local politics.
Main Article: Peronism
Main Article: Centre-Left Kemalism
Main Article: Labour Zionism
The Australian Labor Party was historically a social democratic party, and claims to still be. However, since 1983 and the election of Bob Hawke, they have been largely more Third Way. Despite this, they still have some social democratic individuals. There was also a Social Democratic party founded in 1980 that lasted 3 years and didn't get any seats.
Beliefs and Views
Social Democracy is a center-left ideology that believes in a mixed economy with a welfare state funded by progressive taxation. They believe in re-distributing wealth via taxes to make capitalism more humane.
They subscribe to the Liberal interpretation of human rights. That being the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Social Democrats alter the Liberal interpretation of 'human rights' to include equality, justice, and solidarity.
To make it simpler, here are the 3 principles of Social Democracy.
Social Democracy believes in a liberal democratic framework, Liberal democracy is a form of system operating under the civic principles of classical liberalism. But however, Social Democratic economics are somewhat different from classical liberalism.
In order to preserve Liberalism, negative rights and positive rights must be balanced. Positive rights such as right to health and right to an adequate standard of living are respected. Negative rights like freedom of speech and property rights are strengthened.
Social Democracies tend to support a universalist welfare. Instead of only subsidizing private services or giving them to the needy, the provisions are available for everyone. The supported policies are universal childcare, care for the elderly, education, healthcare and workers' compensation.
Mainly connects to Enlightenment ideals of equality under the law and human rights.
Social Democracy is generally portrayed as being quite care-taking of other people, even if they may not like it. They are occasionally mistaken for Democratic Socialism, which they usually don't like, but they'll often proudly call themself a democratic socialist in The United States. He will get very mad at Left Communism and Marxism–Leninism whenever they call him a "Social Fascist".
How to Draw
Drawing Social Democracy requires a few steps:
- Draw a ball.
- Color the ball with red.
- Draw a white rose on the bottom of the ball.
- Add the eyes, and you're done!
|Red||#FF0000||255, 0, 0|
|White||#FFFFFF||255, 255, 255|
- Nordic Model - We're essentially the same.
- Keynesianism - We make the government spend... together.
- Left-Wing Populism - We work great during elections, and we both care about the common people.
- Social Libertarianism - Even though you are a bit libertarian you are still my beloved son.
- Regulationism - Time to tax and regulate those big business!!
- Iron Front - Down with Communism! Down with Fascism! Down with Monarchism!
- Progressivism - Generally we go hand in hand, although some of my derivatives would beg to differ.
- Social Liberalism - A great friend of mine who is basically me but with more market based solutions. We often form coalition governments.
- Social Capitalism - Same as above but less regulationist.
- Libertarian Social Democracy - My left libertarian buddy. Basically me but with more of an emphasis on civil liberties.
- Bernsteinism - I love you dad but private property and markets are cool, also you are just too extreme to ever be elected.
- Market Socialism - Good friend who likes worker co-ops, but a bit too socialist, which is pretty meh.
- Democratic Socialism - We're not quite the same, but I don't mind your company.
- Libertarian Marxism - Stop Spamming that Marx quote against me! I don't have a "Servile belief in the state". But besides from that you are okay, just a bit too utopic.
- Social Corporatism - Sure, capitalism is flawed, but that does not mean we need to go full 3rd position. I'll still work with you though. And I do like Norway and sectoral bargaining
- Social Georgism - Most of my advocates support LVT but I dunno know about Georgism in general. Still a good guy to talk to.
- Civic Nationalism - Best nationalist by far, though that doesn't say much. Some of my followers are more globalist but we get along anyway
- Libertarian Socialism - Calm down! Socialism isn't a good way to follow! But you are pretty cool nontheless.
- Austromarxism - Great friend who is much further left than me, still love him though.
- Social Distributism - As long as you aren't a Bible thumper you are cool, though a bit old fashioned.
- Nationalist Progressivism - Honestly really based. Though I prefer more internationalism and you need to own up to your imperialism in Cuba but you are still great.
- Libertarian Market Socialism - Based. Little extreme at times and the government does need to collect taxes and regulate industries.
- Paternalistic Conservatism - We often fight in elections, but he's still my child. (And a worthy opponent!)
- Ceremonial Monarchism - Meh, you go against my belief that every man is equal and I would abolish you if I could but I just don't care about you.
- Socialism of the 21st Century - Depends on the mood he's in.
- Welfare Chauvinism - My racist son, on the rise. WHY! Also, being an unironic "Social Fascist" gives tankies propaganda material.
- Left-Wing Nationalism - Sometimes works with me, sometimes against me.
- Distributism - Maybe?
- Social Authoritarianism - You have good ideas, but please calm down with your methods. Thaksin was quite based but Lukashenko must go!
- Longism - Same as above.
Please come back to us Huey.
- Social Corporatism - Sure, capitalism is flawed, but that does not mean we need to go full 3rd position. I'll still work with you though.
- Titoism - Too authoritarian for my liking, but at least you don't call me a "Social Fascist" unlike your brothers.
- Third Way - I'll still vote for you son, but I wish you would stop trying to compromise with him.
- Syndicalism - I'm pro-union and all, but I'm not a fan of this whole socialism thing.
- Capitalism - Good system, just needs some more regulation.
- Socialism - You're my father and we have a lot in common, but I don’t think your ideology can work. Nonetheless, I’m sympathetic with most of your views.
- Marxism - FINE! Who needs that family anyways! But we agree on many of the same issues with capitalism, but I do not necessarily agree with your solutions. Also electoralism is good. Some of my members like you while others think you were wrong and outdates. Really mixed mag overall.
- Bismarckism - While I appreciate you a lot for installing the first welfare state, I'm still pretty pissed with how much you tried to suppress my movement.
- Democratic Confederalism - Some of my parties in the past were somewhat sympathetic to you, but why do you call us a failed attempt to reform capitalism? We both like the HDP at least.
- Neoconservatism - You're very controversial among my followers. You always try coup me in the third world but my followers in the west have become more accepting of you in recent years. At least we both hate Russia and China.
- Ordo-Liberalism - You still like social welfare, but you're a tad too conservative when it comes to regulation for my liking. Far from horrible though.
- Anti-Fascism - The Iron Front was ultra based, but what's up with the whole "Social Fascism" bullshit?!
- Anarcho-Communism - STOP CALLING ME A SUCCDEM!
- Putinism - God awful authoritarian capitalist dictator and imperialist. Hands off Ukraine. Gorbachev should have been given a second chance.
- Neoliberalism - Everything I had built up to this point, you just had to destroy it. Fuck you!
Still don't know why we decided to have that kid together..
- Libertarianism - Just because I like Bernie Sanders doesn't mean I'm a communist! Also, if we privatize everything as you suggest, we'll just enable China's soft imperialism.
- Luxemburgism - Cope harder commie. You attempted to overthrow a democratic government and failed miserably, HA!
*quietly tightens fiber wire*
- Marxism–Leninism - The "Social Fascist" is Welfare Chauvinism, not me! Also, you scumbag worked with him to sabotage me![Note 1]
- National Socialism - YOU DESTROYED THE DEMOCRACY I BUILT AND COMMITTED GENOCIDE AGAINST AT LEAST 6 MILLION PEOPLE! GET DESTROYED BY THE ALLIES, YOU DIRTY NAZI!
- Left Communism - You claim to love the working class, but all you do is sit on an armchair reading political literature all day, without contributing to society you lazy prick!
- Dengism - Everything I hate in one. Wish that conservatives stop accusing me of being a Chinese puppet FFS!!
- Anarcho-Capitalism - Healthcare is a human right!
- Imperialism - Stop trying to coup me every time I try to nationalize my country's natural resources.
- Fascism - Leave me alone, fascist pig!
- Paleoconservatism and Trumpism - I! AM! NOT! A! COMMIE!
- Juche - Stop using my name for propaganda you totalitarian scumbag!
- Pinochetism - Allende was too radical for me but he didn't deserve to be overthrown for that, and YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S WAY MORE RADICAL THAN HIM!
- Pink Capitalism - We could have been friends but you just had to cause economies to collapse.
- Objectivism - You hate the poor so stay away from me.
- Salazarism - I only overthrew you to give people true freedom.
- Corporatocracy - That's why I hate Laissez-Faire and I care about small businesses, you also caused the concentration of much of the world's wealth to go to 1% of the population.
- Authoritarian Capitalism - Authoritarianism and unregulated capitalism. What a nightmare.
- National Capitalism - Please, tell me this is a joke. You are literally the guy above but JUST FUCKING WORSE!
- Paleolibertarianism and Buchananism - They said that are going to break me as a clock, still standing social Darwinist bigots.
For overlapping political theory see:
Regulationism, Democratic Socialism, Third Way , Reformist Marxism, Progressivism, Welfarism, Reformism
- A Theory of Justice by John Rawls
- Time for Socialism by Thomas Piketty
- Overproduction and Crises by Johann Karl Rodbertus
- Foundations of Social Democracy by Tombias Gambert
- The Working Man's Programme by Ferdinand Lassalle
- Social Democracy After the Cold War by Bryan Evans and Ingo Schmidt
- Basics on Social Democracy by Thomas Kastning
- SockDem's #1 Economic Fact Sheet™
Parties and Organizations
- Partido Morado
- Democratic Socialists of America
- New Democratic Party (Canada)
- Labour Party (United Kingdom)
- Australian Labor Party
- Socialist Party (France)
- Party of European Socialists
- Socialist International
- Progressive Alliance
- What is Social Democracy? (with playlist) by Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
- Social Democracy vs. Social Liberalism Explained by Liberaven
- Democratic Socialism Vs. Social Democracy by Secular Talk
- How Denmark Invented Social Democracy by Kraut
Memes and Humor
- Ernst Thälmann and the Communist Party of Germany targeted Social Democrat politicians instead because they thought Nazis coming to power would accelerate the collapse of capitalism, which at the time seemed preferable to the slow and reformist nature of moderate Marxists in the SDP
- Whitlam was pro-free trade and anti-protectionist.
- Despite using rhetoric hostile towards feminism, Jae-myung has supported feminist policies, such as abortion and had acknowledged that he tries to be feminist.
- Lee Jae-myung had joined online website Ilbe Storehouse and once claimed that he once was an "Ilbe".
- Lee Jae-myung has expressed some admiration for South Korea’s past military dictators, especially Park Chung-hee and Choo Doo-hwqn.
- The Dong-A Ilbo, a conservative media outlet in South Korea, said Lee Jae-myung's state-led policies are closer to Park Chung-hee's authoritarianism than left-wing populism based on social equality.
- "How the Left enabled Fascism" New Statesman. October 2018.
Credit: u/u/AYYYYYYY1W, Source
Credit: u/duy_physics, Source
Credit: u/oRange_PCB, Source