Socialism is an ideology used to represent the broad range of ideologies that fall under the umbrella term of "Socialism". In the classical sense, socialism describes worker-owned means of production, heavily supporting worker coups, democratic self-management, and workplace democracy. But much of the conservative western world says that socialism is an authoritarian leftist ideology, in which a bureaucratic state controls the means of production, in a bureaucratic way. But the modern definition of the word socialism, popularised by European Social Democrats, and the Democratic Socialists of America, is "any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods." Socialism in the modern age advocates workers' democratic self-management, high taxation on the wealthy, nationalisation over key parts of industry, and preventing climate change. Socialism is always economically left, and culturally neutral however has found itself becoming synonymous with progressivism mostly in the west at the most recent times. But you do get ideologies like Conservative Socialism and more extreme ones like Strasserism and National Bolshevism, that combine Socialist economics, with conservative cultural preservation, due to their shared Populist standpoint.
Socialism as a political movement is rooted in the French Revolution and Jacobinism, although notable proto-socialist figures and movements existed before this. The first socialist thinkers were social critics and philosophers of the 19th century from Western Europe. These socialist thinkers followed what would later be dubbed, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, Utopian Socialism, due to their lack of materialist analysis and bourgeois nature. Among these thinkers were Charles Fourier, Henri de Saint-Simon, and Robert Owen. Despite all these thinkers being considered Utopian Socialists, their philosophies differed greatly in many ways, with Owen's ideology resembling Socialism in the modern sense more so than the other two.
Robert Owen would go on to develop several socialist communes and villages, being the first to attempt to actualize a socialist society, though these projects were often on a small scale and subject to much criticism.
In France, during the first half of the 19th century, socialist philosophers and politicians continued to popularize socialism. It is in France during this time that many socialists started to reject the gradualism and utilization of utopian communes of the older Utopian Socialists. The term "socialism" was first used in a French Utopian Socialist newspaper. There also emerged a Christian Socialist movement in France led by Philippe Buchez. Moreover, during this time, French socialist literature, which would prove to be highly consequential, was being published, most notably What Is Property? by Pierre-Joseph Proudhon.
In the 19th century, Anarchism as a movement arose, and was incorporated into the socialist movement. This is seen with thinkers such as the aforementioned Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, whose socialistic anarchism was market-oriented, as well as with more communistic anarchists, like the Russian Mikhail Bakunin, who sought a collectivist anarchist society which would utilize labor vouchers, as well as the prominent anarchist communist Peter Kropotkin, who sought a completely communistic society, devoid of any form of currency whatsoever. Anarchism when combined with socialist principles would later come to be known as Social Anarchism.
Marxism, which arose from Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, became the most influential socialist philosophy in history. Marx and Engels ideas on philosophy, political economy, sociology and history were influenced primarily by George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, classical economists such as Adam Smith and David Ricardo, the earlier utopian socialists, and socialist ideals which arose in revolutionary France. Marx and Engels devised a materialist philosophy of history known as historical materialism, and called their form of socialism "scientific socialism" in contrast with utopian socialism. Marxism differed from Utopian Socialism in that it viewed history as a series of class struggles, and saw moving towards socialism within capitalism as futile, instead advocating for revolution.
Soc is usually portrayed as a stereotypical industrial-era unionized worker who really loves striking against his boss and usually will follow the personality traits of the various types of socialism portrayed.
How to Draw
Socialism is a unicolour ball of Red, a colour associated with Socialism for a pretty long time. Especially in the form of "The Red Flag".
- Draw a ball.
- Draw two eyes on the ball.
- Fill the ball red.
- (Optional) Add a white hammer to differentiate it from the Authleft quadrant ball
And you're done.
|Red Pigment||#ED1C24||237, 28, 36|
|White||#FFFEFE||255, 254, 254|
- Marxism - My most famous son who shares many of my ideals.
- Marxism–Leninism - Congrats on taking over a huge chunk of the world in the Cold War!
- State Socialism - My state loving son.
I just wish people stop saying that we have zero differences.
- Utopian Socialism - My mom is idealistic for her time. She also influenced me greatly!
- Democratic Socialism - My reformist son who loves democracy and freedom.
- Conservative Socialism - My culturally conservative son, wish he'd stop calling me a globalist cuck but he's alright otherwise.
- Arab Socialism - My most successful Arabic son!
- African Socialism - MAGA: Make Africa Great Again!
- Guild Socialism - Likes guilds as opposed to labor unions or vanguard parties but otherwise fine.
- Religious Socialism - My religious child.
- Eco-Socialism - One of my most popular variants.
- Social Anarchism - My son who disrespects all authority.
- Minarcho-Socialism - Same as above but moderate.
- Libertarian Socialism - My child disrespects all authority, but doesn't want to completely abolish it (yet).
- Libertarian Market Socialism - A combination of the above and below, he's a pretty cool guy.
- Market Socialism - A fellow lover of co-ops, I guess we can have markets.
- Titoism - Same as Market Socialism. Also, the next time a fascist tells you to get in a helicopter, remind them of the cuck pit.
- Left-Wing Nationalism - My Anti-Imperialist son who loves the nation.
- Left-Wing Populism - YES! We are the 99%!
- Anarchism - Wow, I see you had a lot of kids.
And two with my sons...
- Mutualism - Property is Theft! Creator of industrial democracy.
- Syndicalism / Anarcho-Syndicalism / National Syndicalism - Taught you how to strike good.
- Republicanism - Fellow revolutionary comrade in arms! But can you stop praising liberals?
- Stalinism - I have many internal conflicts about you. On one hand, you defeated fascism and showed the world how powerful socialist countries can be. On the other hand, you are the reason why so many people in the west are scared of socialism and don't know what it really is!
- Anarcho-Egoism - You raise some valid points against capitalism, but then you complain about some of us being "dogmatic".
- Welfarism - People think I'm you because you care much for the poor, but you can only exist in capitalist societies. You also could go further.
- National Bolshevism - My crazy Nazi descendant.
- Reactionary Socialism - My more utopian brother, like our mother but for some reason very anti-Semitic and racist.
- Distributism - So close to perfection. Just drop the whole private property thing and we're good.
- Longism - Same as above.
- Liberal Socialism - You're a socialist but you're also a libtard so...
- Social Liberalism - I mean, he is a liberal, but he did implement quite a bit of socialist-ish policy. Just please stop doing the whole capitalism thing, y'know?
- Social Democracy - We have a complicated relationship. He thinks it's better to reform capitalism than to get rid of it, and nowadays a lot of people, especially in the US, think he's me even though we're not the same. But I can't blame them for that. After all, we both have similar values. You are better than the guy above though.
- Nordic Model - Same as above.
- Social Authoritarianism - Same as soclib and socdem, but more authoritative.
- Globalism - I don't like the unregulated international trade thing, but I like when you help the third world and I also like Socialist Internationalism (mostly).
- Nationalism - Nations divide the working-class, but you see the negatives of global capitalism and Left-Wing Nationalism serves the nation's working-class.
- Dengism - What is this? Deng, you are a dirty red capitalist. Also why is there such a high-income gap!? But it is still fun to use you to trigger crapitalists in the west.
- Juche - Wait, how are we even related?
- Classical Liberalism - I remember our good 'ol rivalries, good times.
- Capitalist Communism - My weird child.
- Yellow Socialism - Red socialism is better than yellow socialism, but at least you're better than capitalism.
- Strasserism - Too anti-Semitic for my liking. But at least you're better than him.
- Kemalism - We never forget Kadroist comrades.
- Tridemism - We never forget Dr. Sun Yat-sen and Left KMT comrades. It's a shame that the modern-day KMT is full of capitalists.
- Chiang Kai-shek Thought - WHY THE HELL DID YOU HAVE TO MURDER LEFT KUOMINTANG MEMBERS???
What do you mean, you're a Socialist?
- Democracy - I am democratic. Socialism means "Democracy in the workplace" after all.
Please ignore the Authoritarianism of some of my children.
- Social Capitalism - Well I mean you are an abomination, but at least you are a nice one.
- Social Libertarianism - You are on the thinnest ice imaginable. Like, I'm talking as thin as a bread ration.
- Neosocialism - "For though they offer us concessions, change will not come from above!" --- Part of 'The Internationale'.
- Caesarism - My Ancient Roman Grandfather. At least you care about the people, but did you really have to be imperialist?
- Capitalism - GIVE ME A GODDAMN RAISE YOU STUPID CAPPIE!
- National ¨Socialism¨ - GERMAN FASCIST WHO STOLE MY FUCKING NAME!
- Fascism - I can't believe that you betrayed us, Benito. Fuck off already, you oppressive pig.
- Ingsoc - You're just like this asshole minus the racism but even more tyrannical, plus all you want is power, you dystopia-loving bastard.
- Anarcho-Capitalism - FUCK OFF!!! YOU'RE NOT EVEN AN ANARCHIST!!!
- Neoliberalism - Oh so I'M the one who hates the poor? You literally think that the British colonizing India was good. I'll see myself out on this one.
- Plutocracy - Evil incarnate.
- Reactionarism & Feudalism - FUCK YOU BOTH FOR WHAT YOU DO TO WORKERS! I AM NEVER BEING A SERF AGAIN!
- Libertarianism - Socialism is neither "when welfare" nor "when the government", you schizo! You also stole their name!
- Authoritarian Capitalism - Proof that liberal “democracies” are nothing more than rational dictatorships controlled by the bourgeoisie.
- Thatcherism - Ding dong the witch is dead!
- Third Way - STOP CORRUPTING EVERY EUROPEAN LEFT WING PARTY YOU NEOLIBERAL SCUM!
- Eco-Capitalism - “Eco-Friendly Capitalism.” What an actual joke.
- Neoconservatism - You have the audacity to call me an oppressor while you overthrow democratically elected leaders and install bourgeois tyrants around the world. Even he hates you. Just ask him!
- Zelenskyism - Fuck you Zelensky, you are just a puppet of AmeriKKKa and a ZioNeonazi in denial!!!
- Das Kapital Volumes One, Two and Three by Karl Marx
- Evolutionary Socialism by Eduard Bernstein
- Why Socialism? by Albert Einstein
- Imperialism The Highest Stage of Capitalism by Vladimir Lenin
- The Accumulation of Capital by Rosa Luxemburg
- It's Time For Real Change: For the Many Not the Few by The U.K. Labour Party under the Leadership of Jeremy Corbyn.
- The Soul of Man Under Socialism by Oscar Wilde
- Understanding Socialism by Richard D. Wolff
- After Liberalism by Immanuel Wallerstein
- Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber
- The Utopia of Rules: On Technology, Stupidity, and the Secret Joys of Bureaucracy by David Graeber
- Acts of Resistance: Against the Tyranny of the Market by Pierre Bourdieu
- J IS FOR JUNK ECONOMICS: A Guide To Reality In An Age Of Deception by Michael Hudson
- The Establishment: And how they get away with it by Owen Jones
- A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- History of Socialism
- Types of Socialism
- Economic Planning
- Workplace Democracy
- Socialist State
- The Red Flag
- Socialist Parties
- Phillip Mainländer
- Karl Marx
- Friedrich Engels
- Louis Charles Delescluze
- Eduard Bernstein
- Jarosław Dąbrowski
- Vladimir Lenin
- Leon Trotsky
- Joseph Stalin
- Julius Martov
- Ernst Thälmann
- Rosa Luxemburg
- Sun Yat-sen
- Clement Attlee
- Mao Zedong
- Zhou Enlai
- Kim Dynasty
- Josip Broz Tito
- Enver Hoxha
- Nikita Khrushchev
- Georgy Malenkov
- Mikhail Suslov
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Fidel Castro
- Raul Castro
- Che Guevara
- Ho Chi Minh
- Kaysone Phomvihane
- Pol Pot
- Erich Honecker
- Leonid Brezhnev
- Alexander Dubček
- Gustav Husak
- Mátyás Rákosi
- János Kádár
- Nicolae Ceaușescu
- Khorloogiin Choibalsan
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Gamal Abdel Nasser
- Bhagat Singh
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Luis Taruc
- Lean Alejandro
- Sanzo Nosaka
- Inejiro Asanuma
- Tetsu Katayama
- Michel Aflaq
- Patrice Lumumba
- Salvador Allende
- Lee Harvey Oswald
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Malcolm X
- Fred Hampton
- Angela Davis
- Leila Khaled
- Ne Win
- Dr. Najib
- Kwame Nkrumah
- Marien Ngouabi
- Thomas Sankara
- Julius Nyerere
- Xi Jinping
- Jose Maria Sison
- Abimael Guzmán
- Abdullah Öcalan
- Robert Mugabe
- Nelson Mandela
- Winnie Mandela
- Hugo Chavez
- Nicolas Maduro
- Evo Morales
- Luis Arce
- Daniel Ortega
- Pedro Castillo
- Eugene V. Debs
- Emma Goldman
- Peter Kropotkin
- George Orwell
- Albert Einstein
- Olof Palme
- Noam Chomsky
- Gennady Zyuganov
- Aleksandr Dugin
- Michael Parenti
- Jeremy Corbyn
- George Galloway
- Zarah Sultana
- Slavoj Žižek
- Richard D. Wolff
- Max Blumenthal
- Abby Martin
- Mike Prysner
- Mansoor Hekmat
- Carlos Latuff
- Palmiro Togliatti
- Enrico Berlinguer
- Antonio Gramsci
- Amadeo Bordiga
- Giuseppe Garibaldi
- Economic Update: 3 Basic Kinds of Socialism by Democracy at Work
- What Is Socialism? by NowThisWorld
- Why Socialism Is Red by azureScapegoat
- Socialism For Dummies. a lecture by Richard Wolff
- POST-CAPITALISM: A Detailed Look at How It Could Work by LuckyBlackCat
- Communism & Socialism: What Do They REALLY Mean? by LuckyBlackCat
- Political Compass Rap but it's ALL SOCIALISTS ♫ by LuckyBlackCat
Credit: u/duy_physics, Source
Socialism killed by Liberalism