Left-Wing Populism is a culturally and economically left-wing ideology that emphasizes the popular frustrations of the working class (e.g. lack of healthcare, poverty, unemployment) for political gain. Its proponents either advocate some form of Socialism (typically Democratic Socialism) or just Social Democracy. It saw a rise after the events of the Financial crisis of 2007-2008 and the Europe debt crisis, leading to movements like Occupy Wall Street. It believes that it is the only viable way to fight off Neoliberalism and that Right-Wing Populism will only make it stronger. Like its brother, it also opposes the EU for the most part, but is usually more open to reforming it rather than abolishing it.
La Follette Progressivism
La Follette Progressivism is an economically left and culturally left political ideology based off the Wisconsin progressive movement under Governor, Senator, and Representative Robert M. La Follette. La Follette led a political dynasty in Wisconsin, which was continues by his sons Robert Jr. and Philip, who were Senator and Governor respectively. Wisconsin’s progressive movement saw its peak in 1924, when La Follette’s third party presidential run won nearly 17% of the national vote and carried Wisconsin.
Aspects of La Follette’s political thought included state ownership of railway, cheap credit for farmers, outlawing child labor, laws promoting union interests, protection of civil liberties, ending American imperialism in Latin America, and a referendum before any president could lead the nation into war. La Follette initially supported the Bolsheviks in the Russian Civil War, but later became anti-communist after visiting the young USSR.
It is important to note that this ideology is distinct from the Bull Moose Progressivism of Theodore Roosevelt. The progressivism of La Follette was populist in nature and appealed to Midwestern and Western farmers, while Roosevelt’s progressivism was more elitist and appealed to Eastern urbanites. La Follette was also harshly critical of Roosevelt, considering him as not adequately progressive. He was also a critic of the Taft Administration. La Follette opposed both in the 1912 elections, voting for Socialist nominee Eugene Debs (though he did not formally endorse any candidate).
Left-Wing Euroscepticism is a version of Euroscepticism that focuses on the issues the left has with the European Union. Leftists criticize the European Union as being an undemocratic neoliberal elitist empire that has contributed to the rise of wealth inequality within Europe through the use of its austerity monetary policies and free-trade agreements. To the extent leftists oppose the European Union is seen within the ideology. Moderate socialists usually hold soft-eurosceptic views while communists and other hardline left-wing ideologies hold hard eurosceptic views. But that doesn't mean that they oppose the idea of the European Union, some support a communist version of the European Union.
The Dirtbag Left is a style of left-wing politics that forgoes civility and things associated with the left-wing in the United States like identity politics and political correctness to convey left-wing populist and anti-capitalist messages. The movement has been described as anti-fascist, anti-conservative, anti-centrist, anti-inequality, and anti-liberal. It shows support for redistributive economic policies and the presidential campaign of Bernie Sanders. The media associated with the dirtbag left includes podcasts like the Chapo Trap House.
Corbynism is based on the political positions of British MP Jeremy Corbyn, who was also a former leader of the opposition, former leader of the Labour Party and former chairman of the Stop the War Coalition, also responsible for a left-wing political fandom called "Corbynmania". He has already stated in an interview that he read Marx, but not enough to be considered a Marxist. Its ideals are based on protecting working people of the UK as well as the environment with strong environmental regulations, salary of 10 pounds an hour, re-nationalization of vital industries and public services(rail, mail and water), increase yearly public spending by £98 Billion, Create a National Education Service, subsidising regional development, an inclusive ownership fund for large companies, recovering losses from tax evasion and reducing tax benefits by around £93bn.
Sandersism is an ideology based off of the American social democratic independent candidate Bernie Sanders. It is economically center-left to left-wing, anti-establishment, internationalist, environmentalist, and culturally progressive. Being a left-social democrat, he supports strong government intervention in the economy, trade protectionism, worker co-operatives, and unions. Socially, he supports abortion rights, racial equality, feminism, drug decriminalization, secularism, criminal justice reform, and other policies associated with the cultural left. He is associated with the Vermont Progressive Party and Left-Democrats.
Mélenchonism is an ideology based on the views of the French politician Jean-Luc Mélenchon. He was a member of the French National Assembly and a member of the European Parliament. In the 2022 elections, he came close to making it to the second round of the presidential election, with 22%.
In Spain there is a political party called Podemos that supports Democratic Socialism, Anti-Austerity measures, Feminism, Anti-Neoliberalism, Direct Democracy, Federalism, withdrawal of Spain from NATO (formerly) and the implementation of a Republic in Spain.
Personality and Behaviour
Left-Wing Populism loves holding protests signs and browses Twitter for current issues. Sometimes may act as a champagne socialist and it's personality is similar to that of figures like Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jeremy Corbyn or Jean-Luc Melenchon, very gruff and hot-headed but still genuinely cares for the working class and minorities, even if they're not what they expected the working class to be.
How to DrawThe symbol of left-wing populism is a white fist (representing the power of the common people) on a red background (representing economic and cultural leftism).
- Draw a ball.
- Colour it red.
- In the centre, draw a white fist coming from the base.
- Draw some eyes and you're done!
|Red||#ED1C24||237, 28, 36|
|White||#FFFFFF||255, 255, 255|
- Populism - Power to the people!
- Social Democracy - I like how you represent the common people.
- Socialism - We are the 99%!
- Libertarian Social Democracy - End government tyranny! End private tyranny NOW!
- Eco-Socialism - Looking out for the environment is just as important as caring for common workers!
- Alter-Globalization - Economic globalization is only making lives of the poor worse.
- Syndicalism - Striking is based.
- Left-Wing Nationalism - A bit of nationalism never hurt anybody.
- Democratic Socialism - I really wish we had better electoral success, but we're not giving up on democracy.
- Longism - Every man a king! Share the wealth!
- Socialism of the 21st Century - Solidarity with our Latin American comrades.
- Eurocommunism - You're what they should have been.
- Marxism-Leninism - I understand some of your values, but you are too totalitarian and elitist.
- Regulationism - You're necessary but boring, we need a champion of the people for electoral success.
- Right-Wing Populism - I like your style brother, but you're going in the wrong direction. And stop believing in conspiracy theories
although I believe the Megacorp elite conspiracy.
- Social Libertarianism - You are a populist (mostly) and vaguely on the left but you are way too capitalist.
- Alt-Lite - Zoomer brainwashed by my brother and his friends, at least his style is a bit better but still on the wrong path.
- Paternalistic Conservatism - Like how you use left-leaning economics as a way to help people, idk about the whole social conservatism though.
- Anarcho-Communism - I am glad you see us as allies, but your ideals are just impossible to achieve, just vote for the politicians that help the people, and that way we can enact change.
- One-Nation Conservatism - Welfare is kinda cool but still too lame, also let immigrants in! Solidarity!
- Chavismo - For all his faults Chavez was still kinda based tbh, RIP.
- Welfare Chauvinism - STOP STEALING OUR BASE!
However you're still preferable to economically right-wing/neoliberal conservatives and nationalists though.
- Social Corporatism - Good economic values but you are a bit too close that guy
- Jacobinism - You no doubt set the groundwork for modern-day leftist movements but why did you have to kill so many innocent people?
- European Federalism - The EU isn't a fundamentally bad idea, it just really needs reform so it works more for the people. Also, I'm not too keen on the whole "United States of Europe" thing.
- Social Liberalism - The New Deal was kinda based, but aside from that he's just way too moderate for me. Plus I don't like how much you compromise with them nowadays.
- Anarcho-Nihilism - You don't care about the people. But we both like protests from 2019 Joker.
- Social Authoritarianism - I swear I don't know this guy!!
I will admit that Vargas was quite based tho.
- PRIsm - You corrupted the revolution! Especially Calles but Lázaro Cárdenas was Basado.
- Corporatocracy - No, no and no.
- Corporatism - Are you not just Corporatocracy again? No? Well, you still suck, you 3rd positionist.
- Thatcherism - DING DONG THE WICKED B*TCH IS DEAD!
- Third Way - Nothing more then a betrayal of social democratic values in favour of them. Now fuck off Blairites!
- Hayekism - Another ri*ht-l*beral, at least you support some welfare...
- Austrian School - Worst lolbert.
- Paleoconservatism - At least you're not the guy below...
- Neoconservatism - STOP SPENDING WELFARE MONEY ON WAR CRIMES!
- Capitalism - The people will never be free as long as you are around!
- Pink Capitalism - No, I don't wanna kiss on the gay anti-homeless bench you shill.
- Liberal Feminism - Stop calling me a Bernie Bro and focus on actual policy for once.
- National Conservatism - Accuses us of being spoiled but literally gets payrolled by oligarchs.
- Trumpism - You're nothing more than a fake populist and thief.
- Liberal Conservatism - Whether or not you support LGBT rights doesn't matter, you still very much hate the poor.
- Democratism - Damn corporatocrats, really thought we had a chance with Bernie before you completely sabotaged him.
- Blanquism - FUCK YOU, YOU FAKE ELITIST SOCIALIST!
- Fiscal Conservatism - If you cared more about the population and not "fiscal responsibility", we wouldn't have gotten Trump.
- Libertarianism - You really believe that Laissez-Faire Capitalism is good for us? You gotta be kidding me.
- National Libertarianism - His natcon son, I don't know if that is worse or better.
- Neo-Libertarianism - And his neocon son, I don't know who is worse.
- Classical Liberalism - You're the seed of evil .
- Gaullism - Students needs in freedom! Never forget Mai 1968!
- Reactionary Liberalism - Xenophobic racist bigoted Bourgoisie! Also, I'm glad B*lsonaro is gone! LULA LÁ!
- Pinochetism and Fujimorism - Agents of the neoliberal elite who committed white terror.
- Dark Enlightenment - I really hate these geeks bigots specially Thiel.
- Radical Centrism - Just a fake alternative neoliberal.
- Avaritionism - I KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU, GODDAMN PMC AGENT!
- Left-Wing Populism
- Popular socialism
- Occupy Wall Street
- Pink Tide
- Socialism of the 21st century
- Anti-Austerity movement
- Dirtbag left
- Chapo Trap House
- Bernie Sanders
- Jeremy Corbyn
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon
- Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
- Lee Jae-myung
- Catarina Martins
- Pablo Iglesias Turrion
- Alexis Tsipras
- Oskar Lafontaine
- Sahra Wagenknecht
- Hugo Chavez
- Rafael Correa
- Néstor Kirchner
- Andrés Manuel López Obrador
- Pedro Castillo
- Marco Enríquez-Ominami
- Pamela Jiles
- Julius Malema
- Oleh Lyashko
- Mohd Nasir Hashim
- Chantal Mouffe
- European United Left–Nordic Green Left (Alliance of Left-Populist parties in Europe)
- La France Insoumise
- Die Linke
- Left Bloc
- Sinn Fein
- Red–Green Alliance
- Worker's Party
- Frente de Todos
- Progressive Party
- Economic Freedom Fighters
- Left Party
- Socialist Party
- Red Party
- Power to the People
- Reiwa Shinsengumi
- New Anticapitalist Party
- Radical Party of Oleh Lyashko
- Parti Sosialis Malaysia
Credit: u/Pirate_Tails Source
Black Lives Matter
- ↑ Has praised him as a economist and has mentioned having read his work, though not enough.
- ↑ Corbyn’s opponents have tried to use allegations of Trotskyism to smear him, but he has shown sympathy to Trotskyism in the past.
- ↑ https://www.vozpopuli.com/espana/podemos-apoyo-putin-parlamento-europa.html
- ↑ https://theobjective.com/espana/2022-03-01/podemos-putin-gobierno/
- ↑ https://theobjective.com/espana/2022-01-26/podemos-russiatoday-putin/
- ↑ Sanders had expressed support for workplace democracy.
- ↑ Sanders had expressed support for workplace democracy.