Islamic Theocracy, or Muslim Theocracy, also known as Islamism, is a culturally right, authoritarian and economically variable ideology. Political aspects of Islam are derived from the Qur'an, the Sunnah (the sayings and living habits of Muhammad), Muslim history, and elements of political movements in the Islamic world.
It should be noted that there is a difference between the Sunni and Shia interpretations of Islamic Theocracy. With Sunni Muslims believing in the rightfully guided caliphs (Rashidun) who were elected via consultation (Shura) following Muhammads death. Whereas Shiites reject this interpretation and instead believe Ali (the 4th Caliph) and his descendants are the only rightful rulers (Imamate).
The first Islamic Theocracy is commonly thought to be the Rashidun Caliphate. It was founded in 632 after the death of Muhammad. But, before the Rashiduns, there was the Medina Islamic Government which was ruled by Muhammad. During the leadership of Muhammad, the Medina Islamic Government conquered much of pre-Islamic Arabia. After Muhammad died in 632, Abu Bakr became the first Rashidun Caliph. The Rashidun Caliphate would expand in pretty much all directs, expanding the Islamic religion far and wide. After the collapse of the Rashidun Caliphate in 661, the Umayyad Caliphate was created. The Umayyads are mostly remebered for conquering Iberia with the helps of the Berbers and Moors. After the Umayyads, Islam split into multiple Caliphates. The main one was the Abbasid Caliphate, which was eventually conquered by the Mongols in 1258, but came back into existence in 1261. The Abbasids were also the Caliphate that existed during the Crusades. The Abbasids lost their last lands in 1517, after which the title of 'Caliphate' was passed to the Ottoman Empire.
Alongside the Abbasids, there were a few split-off caliphates as well. Most notably was the Caliphate of Córdoba which existed in Muslim Iberia for a few hundred years. It itself eventually collapsed into multiple smaller Islamic states. This weakened the Islamic presence in Iberia and led way for the Catholics to Crusade south and forcefully destroy the Islamic presence in the region in what is known as Reconquista .
In the period after the fall of the Abbasids, the 'Caliphate' was given to the Ottoman Empire. From 1517-1924, the Ottoman Empire was also referred to as the 'Ottoman Caliphate' (though some people suggest they are different entities for some reason). The Ottomans were considered the head of Islam for centuries, especially after the Persian Empire fell into dissary, leaving the Shia version of Islam without an effective leader. The Ottomans went on a long period of decline however, officially collapsing in 1922 in the aftermath of their defeat in World War I. The Ottoman Caliphate would be officially dissolved two years later, with the title of 'Caliphate' now going to, well, nobody.
After the fall of the Ottoman Empire, most of Arabia was conquered by al-Saud, the ruling family of Nejd. The went about conquering Shammar, a pro-Ottoman clan in the north, and Hejaz, a pro-British kingdom in the west. After these conquests, they established the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz, which was recognized by the League of Nations as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia a few years later. Meanwhile, Persia was still collapsing. In 1925, the Sublime State of Persia was dissolved and the Imperial State of Persia was founded. In 1979, Persia collapsed due to the Iranian Revolution. In it's place, the Islamic Republic of Iran was formed. Iran and Saudi Arabia became natural enemies as Iran represented Republicanism and Shia Theocracy, whilst Saudi Arabia represented Monarchism and Sunni Theocracy. This resulted in a cold war in the Middle East between the two over who was the rightful leader of the Islamic world.
From 2010-2012 the Arab Spring begun. In almost every Arab country, revolts sprung up to depose dictators and monarchs all over the Middle East. This scared Saudi Arabia as it was an absolute monarchy. Iran supported these rebellions in an attempt to get some allies, whilst Saudi Arabia supported the governments. The only exception to this was in Syria and Iraq where Iran backed the governments and Saudi Arabia the rebels.
Following the Arab Spring, mass violence occured throughout the Islamic World. This was known as the Arab Winter. Civil wars raged, violence increased, and jihadists started taking land. This came to the benefit of the Islamic State which took over huge chunks of Syria and Iraq, declaring themselves a new Caliphate. They were promptly defeated in 2017 though.
Islamic Theocracy is usually portrayed as a rather traditional muslim individual. Being very strongly against anything that is prohibited in Islamic Text.
How to Draw
- Draw a circle.
- Color it green
- Draw a yellow star and crescent
- Draw the eyes and you're done!
|Green||#006400||0, 100, 0|
|Yellow||#FFFF00||255, 255, 0|
- Monarchism - The proper way to govern our lands.
- Shia Theocracy - Another Muslim, yet has friendly views on Iranians and Shias.
- Neoconservatism & Neoliberalism - Ah America, my good old friend.
- Monarcho-Capitalism - That's how I rule Gulf Countries and Brunei!
- Scientocracy - The Qur'an is compatible with science
- Sikh Theocracy - Fellow halal Muslim or haram pagan? I don't understand but he's still my son. Oh well, many of your people are nice and helped us out a few times before.
- Ba'athism - Fellow Muslim but too friendly with heretics.
- Arab Socialism - I like that you're a Muslim, but stop it with the secularism and socialism bullshit.
- Islamic Socialism - Same as above.
- Buddhist Theocracy - Not Islam, but not haram either.
- Islamic Feminism - Ban polygamy, not wearing hijab at public, female Imams and equal right between men and women? Have you actually read the Quran, the Hadith and the Sunnah sister?
- Dengism - Thanks for giving us funding to kick the Soviets' asses out of Afghanistan, but keep those investments coming and we'll approve your handling of the Uighur situation for now you dirty commies.
- Islamic Democracy - While indeed all in the Ummah should have a say, I'm starting to think you read too many of those Westerners' theories...
- Jihadism - We are all Muslims but you are a lot more extreme and you make us look bad.
- Bankocracy - Usury is haram, and Sharia-compliant banking is the best solution!
- Jewish Theocracy - EVIL JEW WHO STOLE OUR LAND!
- Christian Theocracy - INFIDEL!
- Crusadism - MY RIVAL! BY ALLAH I SHALL COVER MY BLADE IN YOUR BLOOD!
- BJP and INC - INFIDELS THAT STOLE KASHMIR!
- State Atheism - BLASPHEMY!
- Pagan Theocracy - NEEDS TO BE CONQUERED!
- Satanic Theocracy - The only end for followers of Iblis is the pit of fire!!
- Stransserism - Not only don't you want a foreskin, but you don't want a penis! How 'bout we hold your legs apart and let the mutt maul it off then!
At least you can turn gays straight.
- LGBT - You'll end up like the Sodomites some day!
- Mediacracy - STOP PRETENDING TO CARE ABOUT UYGHUR MUSLIMS WHILE PUSHING FOR YOUR GOVERNMENTS TO BOMB US!
- Macronism - YOU DEFENDED THE CARTOONS THAT MOCKED MY PROPHET, THAT'S WHY I'M BOYCOTTING FRENCH PRODUCTS!!!
- Clerical Fascism - No better than zionists.
- Hoxhaism - You made Albania a godless hellhole!
Credit: u/duy_physics, Source