Islamic Democracy, (also known as Islamic Modernism, Islamic Liberalism, or Moderate Islamism) is an ideology that attempts to adapt the principles of the Quran with liberal ideas. Whilst believing that Islam is the correct religion, he also believes it must adapt to modern times, and adapt liberal western ideas like democracy, human rights, pluralism, and the rule of law. He forms a middle position between Laicism and Islamic Theocracy, believing that Islam should still have an active role in the state and society but that the state should also be democratic and shouldn't impose strict sharia. He aspires to be and wants to be seen as the Muslim equivalent to Christian Democracy.
In the 19th century Nahda, intellectuals like Muhammed Abduh tried to combine Islam with liberal values. This line of thought led to the creation of the Muslim Brotherhood under Hasan Al-Banna in 1928.
For the next few decades, Islamic Democracy was eclipsed by rival ideologies like Ba'athism and Marxism-Leninism, but became more popular in the 1970s due to a collapse in faith in the ability of Ba'athism to defeat Zionism, as well as American support to counter communism.
He initially played a role in the 1979 Iranian Revolution, but was betrayed by Khomeinism for being too liberal.
Since then he has come to prominence in many countries such as Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Morocco, and Tunisia. He initially rose in power in Egypt after the 2011 Arab Spring, but was then overthrown in a coup in 2013.
Islamic Democracy has been accused of being a tactic of Islamic Theocracy to deceive secularists and liberals in order to win elections, and then to Islamify the state either quickly over a few years or gradually over many years. An example of this is in Turkey, where throughout the 00s the 'Turkish Model' was cited as an example for how political Islam could be compatible with democracy, however, starting in 2008 and culminating in the authoritarian response to the 2016 coup, the Turkish AKP has become more extreme and authoritarian. It was also used in Iran where liberals and leftists were tricked by Khomeinism into believing he wanted democracy, but then he quickly moved to suppress them.
How to Draw
- Draw a light orange ball
- Draw a deeper orange crescent moon and star symbol
- Draw eyes
- Christian Democracy - We both believe in the same God and also want to use religion as a guiding force within liberal democracy. Based! Isa Masih wasn't God's son though.
- Pancasila - My Indonesian Muslim brother.
- Free Syrian Army - TAKE DOWN THE ASSADIST MENNACE!
- Kemalism - Great how you fought off imperialism and made an Islamic country respected internationally, but why are you ashamed of being Muslim? Latinising the Turkish alphabet, restricting the hijab, making Hagia Sophia a museum, abolishing the caliphate... not a fan. Also, stop trying to ban me again and again and again.
- Islamic Theocracy - We are both Muslims, but you're a little bit too conservative. It's not the 7th century anymore! Islam needs to adapt to stay relevant!
- Liberalism - I support your basic political ideas, but don't like your views on social issues. Also, surely the liberal ideas of pluralism and individual rights give the right to be a devout Muslim right?
- Neo-Ottomanism - You proved that open Islam could be compatible with democracy, the Turkish Model is based! That being said, your coalition with Grey Wolves and advocacy for the Ottoman values does undermine the idea that liberal democracy is compatible with Islamic belief.
- Islamic Feminism - I'm all for your right sis, but having the right to not wear burka and reject polygamy does not mean we should ban them. And polygamy is optional, as the Qu'ran said: "If you can't afford to treat your wives equally, then marry only one".
- Democratic Confederalism - Our relationship is complicated to say the least. You want to succeed from the Free Syria to form your own nation that does not exactly align with my ideology. But we have worked together in the past to fight outside tyrants and some of my supporters also formed the SDF with you. (Still kinda happy Neo-Ottomanism helped me invade you though.)
- Dawronoye - He claims to be apart of the Anti-Assad Opposition, but outside of a few of my Pro-SDF/YPG splinters, he tends to be somewhat of an outsider, he also has problems with Turkish Allied Rebel Factions and is alright with compromising with Ba'athism if it means ensuring peace which is kinda cringe betrayal.
- Laicism - You're not a liberal, liberalism allows for open religious expression!
- Jihadism - You give Islam a bad name, fuck you!
- State Atheism - Enemy of Islam, we will defend the faith and destroy you, infidels!
- Marxism–Leninism - You must die!
- Zionism - Free Palestine!
- Ba'athism - TYRANT! The free Syrian army will free Syria from its shackles!
- Marxist Feminism - Listen here! I really don't want to be sexist, but don't You see I hate Communism?
- Islam and democracy
- Islamic republic
- Islamic Liberalism
- Islamic Modernism
- Moderate Muslim
- Islam and secularism
- Some islamic democratic parties are included within Christian Democratic internationales. Such as the Turkish AKP and the Bosnian SDA.