Gaullism is an economically center to center-left, culturally centre-right, democratic but somewhat paternalistic, statist and moderately nationalist ideology. The ideology Gaullism refers to an ensemble of beliefs attributed to the 5th republic founder, resistant and iconic French historical figure General Charles De Gaulle. Gaullism has been the founding ideology of the contemporary French republic and its legacy remain highly influential.
Gaullism was born during WWII and originally referred to the beliefs of then leader of the French resistance Charles De Gaulle and his followers. Gaullism was born from the refusal to accept Petain’s collaborationist government and from the desire to avenge the German invasion and restore the dignity of France. After the war, Gaullism was one of the main ideologies of the provisional government which ruled France from 1944-1946 after the fall of the Vichy Regime, and was the de facto national ideology of the beginning of the fifth republic after De Gaulle assumed power in 1958. While De Gaulle’s Gaullism technically disappeared after De Gaulle’s step down from power in 1969, Gaullism and its various interpretations are still a driving force in contemporary France with several political parties claiming its legacy.
While Gaullism may have varied with the circumstances , some tenets remain essential: the belief in a strong state combining respect for democracy and the desire to avoid sterile political quarrels, the importance of a strong leader satisfying the French monarchist and bonapartist unconscious, a foreign policy based on pragmatism, the belief in French exceptionalism and in the necessity to preserve and promote French culture and traditions, a refusal of foreign dominance on France as illustrated by the desire of De Gaulle to make of France a nuclear power, a defiance towards foreign powers including the Anglo-Saxons (America, United-Kingdom) and the USSR. Gaullism also includes a reliance on class collaboration by the way of heavy state intervention in the economy in order to unify the nation.
Personalities and Behavior
Gaullism is extremely solemn, serious and cold. He voluntarily uses a heavy French accent the few times he speaks English to show with pride his French origins. He remains quite lonely, usually approaching others with apprehensions (“He has no friends only interests”). While being a man of few words in private , he is a great public speaker and do not hesitate to be provoking in his statements if he considers it necessary (like “Vive le Québec libre!”, ‘‘Glory to a free Québec!’’).
How to draw
- Draw a ball
- Fill it blue white and red like the French tricolor flag
- Draw in a usually-red “Croix de Lorraine” (emblem of the Gaullist French resistance)
- Draw semi closed eyes, he needs to looks unfriendly
- Draw a military hat- usually the one with 2 stars De Gaulle wore during WWII or the standard French general hat.
(Not-too close) Friends
- Bonapartism - One of my fathers, you allowed France to achieve the grandeur she deserves and gave us many of our institutions, if only you were less megalomaniac!.
- Paternalistic Conservatism - You realized the importance of a strong state to maintain order and preserve the union of society, mes respects.
- Longism - Quite like Patcon, you definitely were really "intéressant"!
- Patriotism - Vive la France!
- Civic Nationalism - Immigrants and foreigners must accept “a certaine idée de la France”.
- Venizelism - My Greek self.
- Yellow Socialism - Mon compatriote we have many things in common.
- National Liberalism - Fellow lover of freedom and nation.
- Seperatism - Vive le Québec libre!
- Social Democracy - Your economics are not that bad, but do you have any national pride, "palsambleu"!?
- Democracy - I respect you but you need to be guided to avoid becoming sterile like the fourth republic!
- Integral Nationalism - Maurras you became mad from being so right.
- Libertarian Conservatism - How would you preserve your traditions and culture without a strong state? "Quelle folie".
- European Federalism - You were useful to protect us from the yankees and the soviets' influence but you should stop trying to erase nations and culture!
- Neoconservatism - Same thing with the guy above, France needed to distance from NATO for a second.
- National Socialism - Be damned, dirty nazis! Only "boches" could believe in such nonsense!
- French Fascism - We will never surrender, NEVER!
- Trotskyism - Stop inciting ignorant students to rebel against my regime!
- Eurocommunism - You too! It doesn't matter how many seats you have, I have absolute executive powers.
- Nixonism - Haha Nixon Shock go Boom.
- Arab Socialism, African Socialism and Ho Chi Minh Thought - Grrrr! You're the reason why I lost my colonies!
- Charles de Gaulle
- Free France
- Bureau Central de Renseignements et d'Action
- Union for the New Republic
- Union of Democrats for the Republic
- Foreign policy of Charles de Gaulle