"The basic principle of subversion is to screw up the perception of reality of your enemy to such an extent that he does not percieve you as an enemy. And your system, your civilization and your ambitions appear to him as an alternative. You cannot subvert an enemy who does not want to be subverted."
Contrarianism is an economically, culturally, and socially variable ideology whose only defining feature is opposing any currently prevailing political ideologies and their respective policies. Contrarianism does not have any distinct policies of its own, sometimes taking an opposite stance to the powers that be, but often providing no alternative at all, merely leveling criticism without offering any substitute.
In practice, Contrarianism really only works at all when holding an existing government to account, typically proving unelectable. It is a prime example of an ideology that makes for a much better opposition than it does an incumbent.
Contrarianism believes solely in berating and lamenting existing political norms, whatever they may be. Whilst this often sees it occupy left-wing or progressive territory, there are no fixed Contrarian ideals, and under a left-leaning regime, Contrarianism could also function as a vehicle for reactionary right-wing thought.
The Encyclopedia Dramatica Model represents the ideology of Encyclopedia Dramatica, a general contrarian, satirical online community centered around a wiki that acts as a "troll archive". Its primary purpose is to write satirical articles about internet phenomena in the most vulgar and lulzy way possible. Anything is mockable from left to right, so long as the article strives for "lulz", then it is acceptable. The culture bears familiarity with early internet culture, especially that relating to 4chan.
Whether anyone else says an opinion or even an objective fact, Contrarianism goes out of the way to say the opposite, no matter how absurd or illogical it is.
Basically, the person who hates on <insert popular thing here> because everyone is talking about it, usually without even digging into why it's popular. They just hate it because they think it will make them a much cooler person.
How to draw
- Draw a ball,
- Fill it with white
- Add four diagonal arrows in the corners pointing toward the center
- Fill the top-left and bottom-right arrows with red
- Fill the top-right and bottom-left arrows with blue
- Add gray borders around the arrows
- Add the eyes, and you're done!
|White||#FFFFFF||255, 255, 255|
|Blue||#373F7E||55, 63, 126|
|Red||#FF0000||255, 0, 0|
|Grey||#DADADA||218, 218, 218|
- Anti-Centrism - Burn the fence down.
- Anti-Realism - And prevent the fence from being rebuilt.
- Anarchism - You're probably never going to be the dominant ideology within society, so I can sleep well knowing we're probably going to be friends forever.
- Marxism - Ruthless criticism of society, you say? Pretty based. Plus you're also probably not going to become the status quo anytime soon.
- Trotskyism - Permanent revolution is based af.
- Alt-Lite & Libertarianism - Opposition to mainstream politics from the right? Also based. But again, if you succeed I will complain about you too.
- Alt-Right - Like the above even but less mainstream
and more racist.
- Alt-Right Libertarianism - A fusion of alt-right and libertarianism is a great idea because it is EVEN less mainstream.
- Insurrectionary Anarchism - Hell yeah, destroy every political norm, baby!
- Anarcho-Egoism - Screw everyone else!
- Populism - Anything the elite supports is automatically cringe.
- Anarcho-Nihilism - Negation of every political system? Based!
- National Bolshevism, Reactionary Socialism, Strasserism & Fourth Theory - THE most anti-mainstream ideologies of our time.
- National Anarchism, Lys Noir, and Anarcho-Fascism - Forget what I just said. THESE are the most anti-mainstream ideologies of our time.
- Climate Skepticism - What global warming? It's cold outside!
- Revolutionary Progressivism - I like how you make things change, but if the government gets too progressive, I will have to become a reactionary, and then we can't be friends.
- Reactionaryism - I like how you make things go back to a golden age. But if the government gets too reactionary, I will have to become a progressive, and then you can't come to my birthday party.
- Neoreactionaryism - Geek son of above.
- Reactionary Liberalism - And also his moderate son who's mildly more pro-status quo.
- Radical Apoliticism - We both think that the status quo sucks, but we don't need to kill all ideologies.
- Fascism - You used to be part of the status quo during the Second World War but now you're not even mainstream anymore.
- Radical Centrism - Yes, every side can be wrong... Wait, why are you embracing certain status quo ideas?! Stop that!
- Paleoconservatism & Classical Conservatism - The past was better than the present (still opposed it).
- Progressive Conservatism - What? Make up your mind already!
- Soulism - You hate current reality with the status quo, and you just... escape from it by shifting to your personal utopia? Why you are such a defeatist?
- Manosphere - Go against feminism? Depends on which country we're talking about. If the country we're talking about is pro-feminist, I'm with you, but if it's anti-feminist...
- Radical Feminism - That means it's RadFem time!
- State Atheism - We usually get along except when he succeeded which fortunately is not very common.
- Left-Wing Populism & Right-Wing Populism - Good opposition, but unfortunately you have become the establishment in some countries; but at least they usually still oppose the supranational entities that conform the current thing.
- Welfare Chauvinism - Synthesis of the two above but you also have your moments of being part of the current thing.
- Paternalistic Conservatism, Left-Wing Nationalism, National Communism, and Conservative Socialism - Also the opposite of the global status quo, but are or have been the local one.
- State Liberalism - Are you or are you not part of the status quo?
- Conservatism - Keeping things the same is the worst. I would rather have a disastrous change. All revolutions are good.
- Neoliberalism, Neoconservatism & Third Way - F*ck the status quo.
- Social Democracy & Social Liberalism - Close to status quo bootlickers.
- Reformism - Modify the status quo, technically is still the status quo.
- Liberalism - I'm so bored of you.
- Liberal Feminism - Literally status-quo feminism. You would be cool if you were like your sister, but you aren't.
- Liberal Conservatism & Conservative Liberalism - The worst of both worlds.
- Pink Capitalism - The aesthetics of the status quo.
- Radicalism - You were so cool but no longer are. What a shame.
- Mediocracy - What the fuck is this?!
- Democracy - Stupid popularity contest.
- Ochlocracy - A more violent and even more stupid popularity contest.
- Apoliticism - Complaining is more fun that grilling. Heck, I could even complain about grilling.
Old flag design
Comics and Artwork
Credit: u/Daarekistelemmet, Source
- "Everyone's an NPC except me" and similar monologues.
- Kennan was a "Neocon" with anti-democratic views who opposed military interventions and the arms race and wanted to defeat communism through diplomacy with the Soviet Union and other AES regimes.
- "Nihilism", Encyclopedia Dramatica.