Bonapartism is an Authoritarian Right (by today's standards) but for the time it was left for the modern Civil Code and equality before the law. It was a culturally center ideology, located near the border with the authoritarian left quadrant, supervening from Napoleon Bonaparte and his followers and successors. in the strict sense, it aims to establish an imperial regime in France at the head of which would be placed a member of the family of Napoleon Bonaparte, and in the broadest sense, it aims to establish a nation-state with a strong and centralized executive which is authoritarian and largely undemocratic, but Republican in essence and which regularly consults the will of the people through plebiscites. Bonapartism is a very big tent ideology; Napoleon III once commented on the ideological diversity of his court, saying "The Empress is a Legitimist, Morny is an Orléanist, Prince Napoleon is a Republican, and I myself am a Socialist. There is only one Bonapartist, Persigny - and he is mad!"
After the death of Maximilien Robespierre, the French Directory controlled France. This government was extremely unpopular, so a young Corsican boy by the name of Napoleon Bonaparte overthrew the government and proclaimed himself the First Consul. Then eventually, as he protected France and expanded his borders, he gained more and more popularity and therefore crowned himself as Emperor.
Bonapartism supports the Enlightenment and supports spreading its values everywhere, however; he is also a pragmatist and thus doesn't support too much radical change.
He wants to usurp the throne of Spain & really hates Russia for some reason.
Bonapartism as a pejorative
In modern times, the term "Bonapartism" has been used more generally for a political movement that advocates an authoritarian centralized state, with a strongman charismatic leader based on anti-elitist rhetoric, army support, as well as conservatism. Within leftists circles, Bonapartism is used to describe counter-revolutionary authoritarian leaders that use leftist, anti-capitalist, or anti-imperialist rhetoric as means to gain support from the masses but once in power rule like an emperor for life and revert the gains of the revolution to benefit themselves and a new caste of elites.
Bonapartism is often seen as the precursor to various Fascist ideologies espoused by the likes of Benito Mussolini, Adolf Hitler, and Oswald Mosley.
Leaders and political figures. that aren't clearly left or right may be referred to as Bonapartists. This includes US senator and governor of Louisiana Huey Long, Argentine dictator Juan Perón, former Prime Minister of Thailand and exiled billionaire, Thaksin Shinawatra, etc. All aforementioned politicians combined policies that are associated with both the left and right while using authoritarian tactics to maintain power.
Bonapartism is often used by many leftists including Marxists, anarchists, Trotskyists, and left communists, to describe anti-communist authoritarian socialists such as Gamal Abdel Nasser, Ne Win, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Gaddafi, Hafez al-Assad, Bashar al-Assad, Yasser Arafat, etc, who all explicitly rejected Marxist class struggle in favor of class collaborationism and actively banned or persecuted domestic left-wing movements while also being allied to the Soviet Union, which some would argue was itself an elitist Bonapartist regime of its own.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is sometimes described as a Bonapartist leader with a Napoleon Complex due to his ability to gain support from people on the left and the far-right alike, despite maintaining and strengthening Russia's oligarchic system for his own benefit at the expense of the Russian (and Ukrainian) working class.
How to Draw
The flag of Bonapartism is based on the flag and the coat of arms of the First French Empire
- Draw a ball and color it blue-white-red vertically.
- In the center draw a blue shield with a yellow eagle.
- Draw a yellow necklace around the shield
- Draw a yellow knight helmet on top of the shield
- From the helmet, draw yellow wavy stripes on the sides
- Draw yellow staffs crossed diagonally in the center.
- Draw the eyes
- Optionally, draw a black bicorne with a red pin on top.
- Enlightened Absolutism - Has great ideas.
- Machiavellianism - How I came into power and how I maintain it.
- Imperialism - The French empire will spread the revolution worldwide! VIVE L'EMPEREUR!
- Meritocracy - I love Meritocracy and helped it become a part of Europe.
- Nietzschean Philosophy - Nietzsche believed that I am a higher human.
- Islamic Theocracy - Muhammad was a great man (and also Emperor Bokassa converted to Islam)
- Monarcho-Socialism - Napoleon III liked you.
- Nationalism - I support Corsica and was bullied for it, but became a French emperor!!!
- Republicanism - I am the true successor to the revolution!
- Constitutionalism - "A Constitution should be short and obscure"
- Classical Liberalism, Enlightenment Thought - The people shall have rights, but shall not have the vote!
- Integral Nationalism - I love France too but why don't you like the Enlightenment?
- Jacobinism - I used to be one of you, but why did you have to cause so much chaos?
- Marxism–Leninism - I mostly like what I see here, but what's with this anti-imperialism talk?
- Reactionary Socialism - Good direction overall, but why feudalism? Imperialism is good, but crusadism?
- Fascism - Why do you admire me?
- Nazism - You visited my grave?
- Catholic Theocracy - I brought you back to France; The Cult of Reason and Cult of the Supreme Being were no good for it. But I'll still limit your power and seize your assets.
- Feudalism - Stop impeding progress! HRE go bye-bye.
- Reactionaryism - Stop trying to destroy me!
- Thermidorianism - Directory get rekt.
- Feuillantism - I'm emperor now deal with it!
- Integralism - Hippity hoppity your country is my property!
- Corrupt government officials - Throw them in the trash!
- Women's rights - Throw them in the thrash!
- Bismarckism - F*cking Prussian!! You ruined my second chance!
- House of Bonaparte
- Napoleonic Wars
- Napoleonic Code
- First French Empire
- Second French Empire
- The Napoleonic Wars (Parts 1 and 2) by OverSimplified
- Why "Neither Left Nor Right" Just Means Right Wing|Bonapartism by SecondThought (Biased content)
- NAPOLEON'S STRUGGLE AGAINST FREEMASONRY: BONAPARTE AGAINST ROTHSCHILDby The Fascifist
- THE IMPERIAL FRENCH CAUSE: IN DEFENSE OF NAPOLEON BONAPARTEby The Fascifist
Credit: TheLegend2T, Source