Atheistic Satanism is a loose term describing the ideologies of those who call themselves satanists while not believing in a literal Satan; they instead embrace the fictional Satan as a symbol of defiance against Abrahamic religions. This is primarily the ideologies of Anton LaVey's Church of Satan and The Satanic Temple.
The Satanic Temple
The mission of the Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense, oppose injustice, and undertake noble pursuits. The Satanic Temple has publicly confronted hate groups, fought for the abolition of corporal punishment in public schools, applied for equal representation when religious installations are placed on public property, provided religious exemption and legal protection against laws that unscientifically restrict people's reproductive autonomy, exposed harmful pseudo-scientific practitioners in mental health care, organized clubs alongside other religious after-school clubs in schools besieged by proselytizing organizations, and engaged in other advocacy in accordance with their tenets.
The Satanic Temple has seven fundamental tenets:
I. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
II. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
III. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
IV. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
V. Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
VI. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.VII. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
Church of Satan
Atheistic Satanism is an atheist who (typically) was raised Christian. They are familiar with Abrahamic theology and view Satan as the sympathetic character, not God.
How to Draw
- Draw a Ball.
- Fill it with Black.
- Draw a White pentagram symbol in the center of its body.
- Add a brown headband with horns atop its head.
- Add the eyes and you're done!
- Total Liberationism (TST) - One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
- Progressivism (TST) - The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- Civil Libertarianism (TST) - One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
- Anti-Authoritarianism (TST) - The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
- Scientocracy (TST) - Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
- Reformism (TST) - People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
- Anarcho-Egoism - Do what thou wilt.
- Objectivism (Laveyanism) - Mother, we love you! Our ethics are basically yours. Even if we are not fans of capitalism.
- Secularism - We both agree that religion is harmful towards society, removing it from culture is far more humane.
- Anarcho-Nihilism - Many more anarchistic versions of me are similar to you.
- Satanic Theocracy - Wow dude, that's some sick cosplay--- wait, you actually worshiping Satan?! What the hell?!
- State Atheism - We both agree that religion is harmful to society, but, doesn't this goes too far?
- Eugenicism and Social Darwinism - Yeah, about that...
- Christian Theocracy - I'M NOT GOING TO CHURCH DAD AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!
- Catholic Theocracy - OH MY SATAN IT'S LITERALLY PAVELIĆ!!!
- Positive Christianity and Clerical Fascism - See, I told you.
- Confessionalism - F*CK YOU'RE LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME AS THE ABOVE!!!
- Conservatism - Lol, no. We don't actually worship Satan.
- Paleoconservatism - Between the two of us, you're the only one who believes in the Devil.
- by Anton Szandor LaVey (CoS)
- The Satanic Temple Library
- Speak of the Devil: How The Satanic Temple is Changing the Way We Talk about Religion, by Joseph P. Laycock
- The Revolt of the Angels, by Anatole France
- The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined, by Steven Pinker
- The Little Book of Satanism: A Guide to Satanic History, Culture, and Wisdom, by La Carmina
- Romantic Satanism: Myth and the Historical Moment in Blake, Shelley and Byron, by Peter A. Schock
- The Satanic Epic, by Neil Forsyth
- Paradise Lost, by John Milton
- LaVeyan Satanism
- The Satanic Temple
- ↑ Why You Haven’t Left The Satanic Temple? on Medium by Queer Satanic
- ↑ The Satanic Temple is divided over its leader’s decision to hire Alex Jones’s lawyer on Vox
- ↑ Clip: Doug Mesner (Lucien Greaves, Satanic Temple) Anti-Semitic Rant on Might Is Right Special (2002)
- ↑ Satanic Portland Splits With Satanic Temple Over Alt-Right Affiliation
- ↑ Racism section of the video "Is The Satanic Temple Really An Arbiter for Justice?" by iilluminaughtii
- ↑ https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/about-us