African Socialism is an economically left-wing and culturally variable ideology. It is a pan-Africanist and socialist ideology that believes in sharing economic resources based on traditional African methods of doing so. There have been multiple conceptions of African Socialism historically, with differing variants coming from many different theorists, leaders and revolutionaries. While African Socialists are typically Marxists, specifically Marxist-Leninists, this is not always the case. It heavily opposes capitalism, colonialism and imperialism.
African Socialism first can about in 1956 with the book "Les masses africaines et l'actuelle condition humaine". From 1983-1987, a form of African Socialism created by Sankara came to mainstream politics in Burkina Faso called Sankarism . Throughout it's history, Marxism has played a major rule in the evolution of African Socialism. From 1952-1966, Nkrumaism/Nkrumahism became a popular form of African Socialism in Ghanian politics. Following the Angolan Civil War, Angola came under a Marxist-Leninist government. Angola later removed the Marxist-Leninist system, but continues to be 'Socialist' to this day.
Sankarism is an authleft ideology in Burkina Faso based on the ideas of Thomas Sankara, who was an anti-colonial, feminist and Marxist-Leninist revolutionary and president. Sankarism is left-wing, pan-Africanist and anti-imperialist. Thomas Sankara was sometimes dubbed the "Che Guevara of Africa" and stood in opposition to the cult of personality unlike other Marxist-Leninist ideologies.
Though Thomas Sankara himself was a communist and Marxist-Leninist, many Burkinabe people and organizations who follow Social Democracy, Populism, or Nationalism have also dubbed themselves "Sankarists".
Nkrumaism is the ideology of the Ghanian president and revolutionary Kwame Nkrumah. of The goal of Nkrumaism is the expulsion of colonial powers from Africa, and the union of all African foreign colonies under one borderless African superstate. Kwame Nkrumah's Socialist ideology was influenced by Marx, Lenin, and Mao, and he invested into bringing foreign theorists to help develop his specific ideology. There was initial struggle to differentiate it from other forms of Marxist ideology, but eventually, The Kwame Nkrumah institute reached the conclusion that:
Nkrumaism is simply the ideology for the new Africa, independent and absolutely free from imperialism, organised on a continental scale, founded upon the conception of one and united Africa, drawing its strength from modern science and technology and from the traditional African belief that the free development of each is conditioned by the free development of all.
Nkrumaism served as the state ideology of Ghana during Kwame Nkrumah's reign. Although Nkrumah and his political scientists heavily invested in the theoretical framework of this ideology, his ultimate goals were never truly realized.
Ujamaa, which translates to family or cooperative family, was the ideology practiced in Tanzania by it's creator Julius Nyerere. It acts as a socialist economy in which key industries are nationalized and other components of the economy are united under a central democracy.
Socialism with Namibian Characteristics
A term coined by the SWAPO party of Namibia, Socialism "with Namibian characteristics" is a deviation from the original Marxist-Leninist intent of the party. The party adopted Capitalism, but in 2017, the change to "Socialism" was made. However, many critics of the party describe this change as superficial and even claim that SWAPO espouses market fundamentalism and neoliberalism. Whether this ideologies actually constitutes socialism is debatable.
Indian Ocean Socialism
How to Draw
- Draw a ball.
- Fill it with red.
- Draw a yellow sihouette of Africa.
- Add a red star in the middle.
- Add the eyes and you're done!
|Red||#ED1C24||237, 28, 36|
|Yellow||#F0C600||240, 198, 0|
Afrsoc has trauma towards colonalism and tries to lead his nation forward. Like his father Pan-Africanism, he believes in African unity and will persuade his brothers into doing so. Because he believes Capitalism was the mindest of all colonialist empires by corporate slave holdings, he blames capitalism for Africa's poverty and troubles and believes any capitalist in the African continent is none more than a "traitor" and "western-backed neocolonial puppet".
- Socialism - Only Socialism can save Africa now!
- Marxism - Your literature really says a lot of global western exploitation!
- Pan-Africanism - Our independence is meaningless unless it is linked up with the total liberation of the African continent!
- Castroism - Thanks for helping us liberate Angola from the Portuguese fashs!
- Leninism - The goal of Socialism is Communism.
- Guevarism - Openly helped our Congolese brothers in the eastern region against the Mobutu government.
- Black Nationalism - We must take back Africa for the African people. My people will no more be exploited!
- Gaddafism - Fellow African Anti-Colonial Socialist ,Together ,we shall drive the Imperialists out of Africa.
- Separatism - Kick the Colonials off our land!
- Indigenism - Fellow oppressed minority who had their land unjustly stolen by colonial powers and whose plight for taking back their stolen land is ignored by the majority of the privledged first-world people and activists? Welcome to the club pal...
- Maoism–Third Worldism - Cites me as a major inspiration, we both like Nkrumah a lot.
- Titoism - My friend from Yugoslavia.
- National Communism - Liberating nationalism is incredibly based. Death to western imperialists!
- Arab Socialism - Long live Arabic-African unity!
- Nationalism - Depends on who it is.
- Ethnonationalism - Same as above.
- Social Democracy - Pretty good, too bad he's a dumb centrist. Plus many of our afro-comrades like UPC and the MPLA eventually turned to this ideology.
- Nguema Thought - listen I'm flattered you like me so much but what the actual hell are you doing. Also, while I support nationalist leftism, I don't want black Pol Potism.
- Brother Hao - African Communo-Capitalism? I also doubt whatever PRC really cares about Africa or is just another authcap imperialist with red paint.
- Agrarian Socialism - Death to MPLA ? More like Death to the UNITA! But Savimbi was still an African Socialist and Maoist, despite him becoming an ally of Western imperialism and opposing MPLA.
- Afunism - Ok, I get it, You want to save Africa from the colonialists, but What's that whole story about Fascism, Anti-Feminism, Sterilization of Religious people and Death Penalty for those who hang out with people who don't have the same race than us or disagree with you?
- Imperialism - Evil crooked white man that stole our treasures and resources, discriminated against our people, and left our lands divided to later exploit African infighting!
- Neoconservatism - LAISSEZ NOTRE CONTINENT TRANQUILLE ET EMPORTEZ VOTRE STUPIDE FRANC CFA AVEC VOUS!
- Gaullism - ET VOUS AUSSI, GAULLE!
- Mobutism - You killed Lumumba! You're also backed by neocons and Belgium!
- Aminism - LITERALLY A BLACK FASH! Why must you undo Uganda's stagnant progress?!?!
- Capitalism - Capitalism is indistinguishable from colonialism and white supremacy!
- White Nationalism - DOWN WITH RACISM!
- Reactionaryism - As important African traditions are, Africa needs to step aside into the 21st century and rid itself of unnecessary structures.
- Conservatism - Africa "better during Europeans"? Maybe we'll switch places? Well then no!
- Liberalism - Silly Afonso, your RENAMO group failed to not overthrow me once, but twice!
- Salazarism - Get rekt'd by the MPLA, FRELIMO, PAIGC, and MLSTP!
- Garveyism - You may be a pan-African and a black nationalist, but You're still a filthy... CAPITALIST... FASCIST... PIG!!
- Leopold II Thought - GET THE FUCK OUT OF CONGO, YOU MONARCHIST SCUM!
- Anarcho-Syndicalism - "Anarcho-Syndicalism?" "Down with them!"
- Hutu Power - Fascist scum causing black infighting.
- Nazism - I'M NOT YOU! YOU ARE A RACIST BASTARD!
- Thatcherism - Don't you lay your hands on Angola... ever AGAIN...
Original portrait, by Chcknwngs
Flag of Sankarism
Comics and Artwork
"5x5 Tankie Political Compass" by TheLegend2T, Source
Why Socialism failed in AFRICA
- ↑ Although he supported the Russian invasion of Ukraine as a "Russian Anti-Imperialist programme against NATO".
- ↑ https://mg.co.za/article/2013-11-28-malema-gets-loud-and-proud-in-polokwane/?amp