African Socialism is an economically left-wing and culturally variable ideology. It is a pan-Africanist and socialist ideology that believes in sharing economic resources based on traditional African methods of doing so. There have been multiple conceptions of African Socialism historically, with differing variants coming from many different theorists, leaders and revolutionaries. While African Socialists are typically Marxists, specifically Marxist-Leninists, this is not always the case. It heavily opposes capitalism, colonialism and imperialism.
African Socialism first can about in 1956 with the book "Les masses africaines et l'actuelle condition humaine". From 1983-1987, a form of African Socialism created by Sankara came to mainstream politics in Burkina Faso called Sankarism . Throughout it's history, Marxism has played a major rule in the evolution of African Socialism. From 1952-1966, Nkrumaism/Nkrumahism became a popular form of African Socialism in Ghanian politics. Following the Angolan Civil War, Angola came under a Marxist-Leninist government. Angola later removed the Marxism–Leninism system, but continues to be 'Socialist' to this day.
Sankarism is an authleft ideology in Burkina Faso based on the ideas of Thomas Sankara, who was an anti-colonial, feminist and Marxist-Leninist revolutionary and president. Sankarism is left-wing, pan-Africanist and anti-imperialist. Thomas Sankara was sometimes dubbed the " Che Guevara of Africa" and stood in opposition to the cult of personality unlike other Marxist–Leninist ideologies.
Though Thomas Sankara himself was a communist and Marxist-Leninist, many Burkinabe people and organizations who follow Social Democracy, Populism, or Nationalism have also dubbed themselves "Sankarists".
Nkrumaism is the ideology of the Ghanian president and revolutionary Kwame Nkrumah. of The goal of Nkrumaism is the expulsion of colonial powers from Africa, and the union of all African foreign colonies under one borderless African superstate. Kwame Nkrumah's Socialist ideology was influenced by Marx, Lenin, and Mao, and he invested into bringing foreign theorists to help develop his specific ideology. There was initial struggle to differentiate it from other forms of Marxist ideology, but eventually, The Kwame Nkrumah institute reached the conclusion that:
Nkrumaism is simply the ideology for the new Africa, independent and absolutely free from imperialism, organised on a continental scale, founded upon the conception of one and united Africa, drawing its strength from modern science and technology and from the traditional African belief that the free development of each is conditioned by the free development of all.
Nkrumaism served as the state ideology of Ghana during Kwame Nkrumah's reign. Although Nkrumah and his political scientists heavily invested in the theoretical framework of this ideology, his ultimate goals were never truly realized.
Ujamaa, which translates to family or cooperative family, was the ideology practiced in Tanzania by it's creator Julius Nyerere. It acts as a socialist economy in which key industries are nationalized and other components of the economy are united under a central democracy.
A term coined by the SWAPO party of Namibia, Socialism "with Namibian characteristics" is a deviation from the original Marxist-Leninist intent of the party. The party adopted Capitalism, but in 2017, the change to "Socialism" was made. However, many critics of the party describe this change as superficial and even claim that SWAPO espouses market fundamentalism and neoliberalism. Whether this ideologies actually constitutes socialism is debatable.
How to Draw
- Draw a ball.
- Fill it with red.
- Draw a yellow sihouette of Africa.
- Add a red star in the middle.
- Add the eyes and you're done!
|Red||#ED1C24||237, 28, 36|
|Yellow||#F0C600||240, 198, 0|
- Socialism - Only Socialism can save Africa now!
- Marxism - Workers of the world, Unite!
- Castroism - Thanks for helping us liberate Angola from the Portuguese fashs!
- Leninism - The goal of Socialism is Communism.
- Guevarism - Openly helped our Congolese brothers in the eastern region against the Mobotu government.
- Black Nationalism - We must take back Africa for the African people. My people will be exploited no more!
- Gaddafism - Fellow African Anti-Colonial Socialist ,Together ,we shall drive the Imperialists out of Africa.
- Separatism - Kick the Colonials off our land!
- Indigenism - Fellow oppressed minority who had their land unjustly stolen by colonial powers and whose plight for taking back their stolen land is ignored by the majority of the privledged first-world people and activists? Welcome to the club pal...
- Maoism–Third Worldism - Cites me as a major inspiration, we both like Nkrumah a lot.
- Titoism - My friend from Yugoslavia.
- National Communism - Liberating nationalism is incredibly based. Death to western imperialists!
- Nationalism - Depends on who it is.
- Ethnic Nationalism - Same as above.
- Mugabeism - You were based for the start, but I wished you stayed Marxist-oriented. Still, thanks for helping me conquer Mozambique and defeat RENAMO.
- Social Democracy - Pretty good, too bad he's a dumb centrist. Plus many of our afro-comrades like UPC and the MPLA eventually turned to this ideology.
- Nguema Thought - listen I'm flattered you like me so much but what the actual hell are you doing. Also, while I support nationalist leftism, I don't want black Pol Potism.
- Neoconservatism - LAISSEZ NOTRE CONTINENT TRANQUILLE ET EMPORTEZ VOTRE STUPIDE FRANC CFA AVEC VOUS!
- Gaullism - ET VOUS AUSSI, GAULLE!
- Mobutism - You killed Lumumba! You're also backed by neocons and Belgium!
- Idi Amin Thought - LITERALLY A BLACK FASH! Why must you undo Uganda's stagnant progress?!?!
- Capitalism - Capitalism is indistinguishable from colonialism and white supremacy!
- White Nationalism - DOWN WITH RACISM!
- Reactionarism - Fuck counter-revolutionaries!
- Conservatism - You are just a diet reactionary!
- Liberalism - Silly Afonso, your RENAMO group failed to not overthrow me once, bt twice.
- Imperialism - Literally the opposite of what I wanted. Racism, capitalism, my God...
- Salazarism - Get rekt'd by the MPLA, FRELIMO, PAIGC, and MLSTP!
- Garveyism - TRAITOR TO OUR PEOPLE!
- Leopold II Thought - GET THE FUCK OUT OF CONGO, YOU SHIT-TARD!
- Anarcho-Syndicalism - "Anarcho-Syndicalism?" "Down with them!"
- Hutu Power - Fascist scum causing black infighting.
- Thomas Sankara
- Kwame Nkrumah
- Patrice Lumumba
- Nelson Mandela
- Marien Ngouabi
- Julius Nyerere
- Modibo Keita
- Francisco Macías Nguema